14 Years of Rune Factory 4

✦ 14 years of Rune Factory 4 ✦

An Interview With the People Behind of Rune Factory 4

Celebrating 14 years of Rune Factory 4 with Shinichi Manabe & Takanori Tsuji, alongside a few details about their new project, Farnia Village

Just a few days ago, Rune Factory 4 celebrated its fourteenth anniversary. Released on the Nintendo 3DS on July 19th, 2012, this game had a very large impact on my childhood, to the point that I had changed my online alias to “Turnip” on some platforms, and I still like to do so to this day. I’d poured hours of my life into talking to the beloved NPCs, doing the quests and romances, and clearing the different dungeons. To me, Rune Factory 4 was the “ideal game,” in that it never took itself seriously, let the players progress everything at their own pace, had the perfect balance of humor, drama and romance, and all in all, had some very, VERY, lovable characters. I really do love this game.

So, to celebrate, I was given the opportunity to interview Mr. Shinichi Manabe, the ex-director of Rune Factory 4, and Takanori Tsuji, the man who helped work on the lovable cast!

“But HOW!?” you may ask.

After Neverland went bankrupt and Mr. Manabe and Mr. Tsuji left the company, the two partnered up to create an indie game called Farnia Village, which is similar in gameplay to Rune Factory (it’s a farming sim with quirky characters, so if you’re a fan of Rune Factory, it’s worth checking out! It’s made by the guy who directed the series…). It was showcased clearly on Mr. Manabe’s X account:



Mr. Manabe’s official X account

Farnia Village, as shown in Mr. Manabe’s post

The Kickstarter campaign had already reached its goal, but visitors were still allowed to join the project’s Discord server. I decided to take the opportunity to ask Mr. Shinichi Manabe and Mr. Tsuji whether they would be willing to participate in an interview about their work on Rune Factory and their upcoming project, Farnia Village. Thankfully, they agreed. The interview was conducted entirely through text, with both Mr. Manabe and Mr. Tsuji using DeepL to translate my English questions. What follows is the full interview, so please enjoy reading!

Editor’s note: Although Mr. Manabe used DeepL to translate our conversation, he asked me to clarify that machine translation was not used during the development of Farnia Village. The questions and answers below are also presented in which they were asked during the interview, as well as the direct Japanese translations provided by Mr. Manabe and Mr. Tsuji for Japanese readers.
✦ ✦ ✦

The Interview

Question 01

What was your favorite part about working on Rune Factory 4 and with the team you worked with?

『ルーンファクトリー4』の制作や、一緒に仕事をしたチームについて、最も気に入った点はどこでしたか?

Mr. Manabe

Since I was basically staying at the office all the time, I clearly remember going to “CoCo Ichibanya” with my teammate Tsuji late at night to eat curry many times. We’d even discuss the game’s specifications while we were at the curry restaurant.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:だいたいずっと会社に泊まっていたので 深夜にチームの辻とCoCo壱にカレーを何度も食べにいっていたのはよく覚えています。カレー屋でもゲーム仕様についてどうするか話していました。

Question 02

What did you not like about Rune Factory 4 when working on it?

『ルーンファクトリー4』の制作に携わった際、どのような点が気に入らなかったですか?

Mr. Manabe

Neverland Company moved several times. It was a real hassle.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ネバーランドカンパニーの引っ越しが何度かあった事。とても面倒でした。

Question 03

Was there a particular character, relationship, or storyline that surprised you during development by becoming more emotionally significant than you initially expected?

開発の過程で、当初予想していた以上に感情的に重要なものとなり、あなたを驚かせた特定のキャラクター、人間関係、あるいはストーリーラインはありましたか?

Mr. Tsuji

This is just my personal take, but even when something ends up being more important than I expected, I’m rarely surprised by it. That’s because I usually start writing thinking, “Given this character and the flow of the story, it’ll probably turn out this way,” and then a much better outcome than I anticipated naturally emerges, and that’s where the story ends up. For example, Heaven’s Gate before Leon Karnak and the Forest of Beginnings beyond it weren’t in the original plot; I added them later to explore the relationship between Ventuswill and the Guardians in greater depth.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:私個人の回答になってしまいますが、予想以上に重要になっても、それに驚くことはあまりないです。「このキャラやストーリーの流れならこうなるだろう」と書き始めて、予想以上に良い形が自然と浮かんで、そこに落ち着くことの方がずっと多いからです。例えば、レオンカルナク前のヘブンズゲートや、その先のはじまりの森などはプロットにはありませんでしたが、セルザウィードと守人の関係をより深く描くために、後から追加したものでした。

Question 04

What do you think makes a fictional town, like Selphia, feel like a genuine home to the player?

セルフィアのような架空の町が、プレイヤーにとってまるで本当の故郷のように感じられるのは、どのような理由があると思いますか?

Mr. Manabe

I think what I try to do is make the characters act as if they were alive, as much as possible.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:可能な限り、キャラクターが生きているように振る舞うようにしている事だと思っています。

Question 05

I remember that Rune Factory 4 was supposed to be the last game if sales didn’t go well, similar to the situation that Fire Emblem had before releasing Fire Emblem Awakening. Was there ever any pressure of this game being the “swan song” of the Rune Factory franchise, and if there was, did it have any effect on you during its development?

『ルーンファクトリー4』は、もし売上が振るわなければシリーズ最後の作品になるはずだったと記憶しています。これは、『ファイアーエムブレム 覚醒』の発売前に『ファイアーエムブレム』シリーズが直面していた状況と似ています。この作品が『ルーンファクトリー』シリーズの「最後の作品」になるかもしれないというプレッシャーはありましたか?もしあったとしたら、開発中に何か影響はありましたか?

Mr. Manabe

While developing the game, I never set out to make it with the idea that it might be the last in the series. The fact that the fourth installment ended up feeling like a culmination was simply the result of pouring everything we were capable of at the time into it.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:開発中にシリーズ最後になるかもと考えて作った事はなかったです。4が集大成っぽくなったのは単純にその時出来る事を全て注ぎ込んだ結果でした。

Question 06

Do you ever replay the Rune Factory games in your free time, and are you an avid gamer nowadays?

暇なときに『ルーンファクトリー』シリーズをプレイし直したりすることはありますか?また、最近は熱心なゲーマーですか?

Mr. Manabe

I’m actually replaying Rune Factory 4 right now. While making a map of the monster hut in Farnia Village, I wondered what the monster huts in Rune Factory were like, so I booted it up — and ended up playing through it again. I’m currently at the part where Dylas arrives in town. I’m always playing some game or another; right now, I’m playing Rhythm Heaven and Culdcept Begins.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ちょうど今ちょっと4を遊び直してます。ファーニア村のモンスター小屋のマップを作る際、ルーンファクトリーのモンスターの小屋ってどんな感じだったっけ、と思って起動したら遊び進めてしまいました、ディラスが街に来たところです。ゲームは常になにかプレイしています、今はリズム天国とカルドセプト ビギンズを遊んでいます。

Question 07

Many of the characters in Rune Factory 4 have very exaggerated personalities, but their personal stories often reveal loneliness, grief, insecurity, or fear. How did you approach making comedic characters emotionally sincere?

『ルーンファクトリー4』に登場するキャラクターの多くは、非常に大げさな性格をしていますが、彼らの個人的な物語には、孤独や悲しみ、不安、あるいは恐怖が垣間見えることがよくあります。こうしたコメディ色の強いキャラクターたちに、感情的な誠実さを持たせるために、どのようなアプローチをとられたのでしょうか?

Mr. Tsuji

All the writers were constantly mindful of “how the characters live in this world.” What does each character think, and how do they act? I think everyone made a conscious effort to think deeply about the background behind these choices. I believe one result of this is that the protagonist’s responses naturally changed depending on the character.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:ライターみんなが「キャラクターたちがこの世界でどう生きているか」ということを、常に意識していました。各キャラクターが、何を考えて、どう行動するのか。その背景を深く考えるように、みんなが意識していたと思います。主人公の対応がキャラクターに合わせて自然と変わっていたりすることも、その成果の一つだと思います。

Question 08

Who’s your favorite Rune Factory character? :3

『ルーンファクトリー』で一番好きなキャラクターは誰?:3

Mr. Tsuji

Sorry, I’m not really the type to talk much about my personal preferences when it comes to works I’m involved in. Back when I was just a player — not a creator — I liked Julia.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:すみません、自分の関わる作品についてはあまり好みを語りたくないタイプなので……。制作者ではなく、一プレイヤーだった時期は、ジュリアが好きでした。

Mr. Manabe

This is the Sakuya, Pia, and Shino family. I love the way they seem like they’ll be doing manzai for the rest of their lives.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:さくや、ペルシャ、しののめの一家です。一生漫才してくれる感じが好きです。

Question 09

Was there a character in Rune Factory 4 that you personally understood more deeply than you expected to?

『ルーンファクトリー4』に、予想以上に深く理解できたキャラクターはいましたか?

Mr. Tsuji

This applies to all characters. I think this is something that happens naturally when you’re creating characters for a game. (After all, in every aspect of implementation, you have to consider what you can do and what you should do to bring that character to life.)

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:全てのキャラクターがそうです。これは、ゲームでキャラクターを作っていくのなら、自然とそうなるものだと思います。(あらゆる実装で、そのキャラクターを表現するには何が出来るか、どうするべきかを考えることになりますから)

Question 10

When you encounter fans who have formed deeply personal connections with characters you helped create, what does that feel like from your perspective?

自分が手掛けたキャラクターと、非常に深い個人的な絆を築いているファンに出会ったとき、あなた自身はどのような気持ちになりますか?

Mr. Tsuji

I’m happy. Very happy.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:嬉しいです。とても。

Question 11

Has your relationship with Rune Factory 4 changed over the years? Is there anything you appreciate about the game more now than you did when you were making it?

『ルーンファクトリー4』に対するあなたの思いは、年月を経て変化しましたか?制作当時と比べて、今になってより一層その良さがわかる点はありますか?

Mr. Tsuji

Yes, there are. Personally, I prefer games that focus on creating a larger-scale experience at a lower cost rather than just pursuing a visually lavish look. I sometimes feel that Rune Factory 4 struck just the right balance in that regard.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:あります。私は個人的に、見た目のリッチさを追求するよりも、そこはなるべく小さなコストで、より大きなゲームとして描く工夫をしているゲームが好きです。Rune Factory 4はその塩梅が、とても良い作品だったと感じることがあります。

Question 12

When you were creating Rune Factory 4, did you ever imagine that years later, people would still be carrying the characters and relationships from the game with them as intensely as now?

『ルーンファクトリー4』を制作されていた当時、数年経った今でも、これほどまでに人々がゲームに登場するキャラクターや人間関係を心に深く抱き続けているとは、想像されていましたか?

Mr. Tsuji

I never imagined it. However, even back then, I would occasionally come across comments from fans of the series, and I was always conscious of making sure our work reached them. I remember that everyone on the team — including the fans — cherished the unique atmosphere of Rune Factory very much. After all, everyone naturally treated “Turnips” with great care.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:想像していませんでした。ですが、当時もシリーズのファンの発言に触れることはあったのと、その人たちに届くようにということは常に意識していました。チームのみんなが、ファンと含めてルーンファクトリーの空気感をとても大切にしていたと記憶しています。誰もが自然と「カブ」を大切に扱っていましたからね。

Question 13

What do you hope people feel when they remember Rune Factory 4 many years after playing it?

『ルーンファクトリー4』をプレイしてから何年も経った後、人々がこのゲームを思い返したとき、どのような気持ちになってほしいと思いますか?

Mr. Tsuji

That’s a tough question to answer. I think everyone has their own personal feelings about it… Still, I’d be happy if it left them feeling even a little bit better.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:答えることが難しいです。人それぞれに思い入れはあると思うので……。ただ、その人にとって少しでもプラスな気持ちであってくれたら嬉しいです。

Question 14

As profound as the writing of this game is, was it also very important for you to add that silliness that the characters have today? Personally for me, experiencing the serious moments as well as the hilariousness of the town events helped me grow attached to the characters even more.

このゲームのストーリーは実に深みがありますが、現在のキャラクターたちが持つあの「おバカさ」を取り入れることも、あなたにとって非常に重要だったのでしょうか?個人的には、シリアスな場面だけでなく、町で行われるイベントの笑える場面も体験できたおかげで、キャラクターたちへの愛着がさらに深まりました。

Mr. Tsuji

I believe humor and comedy are very important elements. After all, being “fun” is what matters most in a game. “Making people laugh” is “being fun.” However, it’s actually a very difficult element to get right because it appeals to a much more limited audience than serious content.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:ユーモアやコミカルはとても重要な要素だと捉えています。ゲームは「面白いこと」が何よりも大事ですから。「笑えること」は「面白いこと」です。ただ、実はシリアスよりもずっと人を選ぶので、とても難しい要素ですね。

Question 14.5 · Follow-up

Did you ever have any difficulty balancing the silliness of the characters with their serious moments?

キャラクターのコミカルな一面と真剣な場面とのバランスを取るのに、苦労したことはありましたか?

Mr. Tsuji

It was a real challenge. For the characters, serious and comedic moments are all part of the same continuum. What matters is how players perceive that, and I think it’s crucial to figure out how to portray it in a way that resonates with as many people as possible. I believe the Amber and Ambrosia event reflects that approach.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:苦労しました。キャラクターにとっては、シリアスなこともコミカルなことも、地続きですから。それをどうプレイヤーが受け取るかが大事で、どう描けばより多くの人に受け取ってもらえるのかが、とても大事だと思います。コハクとアンブロシアのイベントは、そういった考えが反映されているイベントになっていると思います。

Question 15

When you look back at Rune Factory 4 now, is there a part of the game that feels especially personal to you, not necessarily because it was your favorite, but because it reflects something about the way you think or feel?

今、『ルーンファクトリー4』を振り返ってみて、特に自分にとって思い入れの深い部分はありますか?必ずしも一番のお気に入りというわけではないとしても、自分の考え方や感情を反映しているような部分です。

Mr. Tsuji

I think the story of Amber, which I mentioned earlier, is one such example.

I believe that the way something appears changes depending on whether I’m giving it from myself or whether someone else is receiving it. At the same time, I think that’s precisely what makes humans so fascinating, so in Rune Factory 4, I feel that the little moments of laughter and emotion sparked by those differences in perception truly reflect my own personality.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:既にお話しした、コハクの話はその一つだと思います。私は、自分の何かを形にすることと、それを誰かが受け取るときとでは、見え方は変わるモノだと考えています。同時に、それこそが人間の面白さだと思っていますから、Rune Factory 4において、そういった見え方の違いによって起こる小さな笑いや感動は、とても自分らしいものが出ていると感じています。

Question 16

I think part of what makes Rune Factory so fun is seeing the characters “act out” their emotions and dialogue despite the lack of any real cutscenes. To me, they have the same energy of a child playing with their toys while using their imagination to provide dialogue to the other toy. The phrase “actions speak louder than words” comes to mind when I think about this. Did you enjoy this aspect of Rune Factory 4 and was it ever difficult to do for some scenes?

『ルーンファクトリー』の楽しさの一因は、本格的なカットシーンがないにもかかわらず、キャラクターたちが感情や台詞を「身振り手振りで表現」しているところにあると思います。私にとっては、まるで子供がおもちゃで遊びながら、想像力を働かせて他のおもちゃに台詞を付け加えているような、そんな生き生きとしたエネルギーを感じます。これを考えると、「行動は言葉よりも雄弁である」という言葉を思い浮かべます。『ルーンファクトリー4』のこの側面を楽しめましたか?また、シーンによっては表現するのが難しかったことはありましたか?

Mr. Manabe

Since this is a text-based event, I think this format works well — and of course, I’m having fun creating it! Because the terrain was created first, it got tricky when the positioning of the terrain and characters didn’t align with the narrative progression in the text. This time, I think it might be easier since I’m allowed to adjust the terrain myself if any issues arise.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:テキストが主体のイベントですので、この形が良いと思っています、もちろん楽しんで作っています!地形の方が先に出来ていたので、地形とキャラクターの位置関係などがテキスト上の展開と合っていない状態になる時、難しくなりました。今回は問題があれば自分で地形を修正してよいのでラクかもしれないと思っています。

Question 17

Did Rune Factory 4 ever produce unexpected player behaviors or strategies during testing that were not part of the original design, but eventually became things you wanted to preserve? There are some players who would grow thousands of Sword Flowers in order to gamble for a sword with the strongest stats in the game, or players who will go into dungeons with nothing but riding a boss that they tamed earlier…

『ルーンファクトリー4』のテスト中に、当初の設計にはなかったものの、最終的には残しておきたいと思わせるような、予想外のプレイヤーの行動や戦略はありましたか?ゲーム内で最強のステータスを持つ剣を手に入れるために、何千本もの「ソードフラワー」を育てて賭けに出るプレイヤーや、以前に飼い慣らしたボスにまたがっただけでダンジョンに挑むプレイヤーなどもいました……

Mr. Manabe

I remember there were plenty of features we ended up including during development because they turned out to be unexpectedly fun, but the one that sticks in my mind is how, in Rune Factory 3, placing an item in the Poison Swamp causes it to become poisoned. I want to keep as many of the features that our players have discovered as possible.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:開発中に想定外に面白いから採用したものはいっぱいあった記憶ですが、覚えてるのはルーンファクトリー3の毒沼にアイテムを置いたらアイテムが毒状態になる事です。ユーザーの皆様に見つけて頂いたものは出来る限り残したいと思っています。

Question 17.5 · Follow-up

Speaking of which, why was this game the one that suddenly allowed the player to tame bosses?

そういえば、なぜこのゲームで突然、プレイヤーがボスを仲間にできるようになったのでしょうか?

Mr. Manabe

On the Nintendo DS, we gave up on the idea of being able to spawn boss monsters anywhere because of processing speed limitations.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:DSだとボスモンスターをどこにでも出せるようにするのは処理速度の問題で諦めたからです。

Question 18

Was there anything more you wanted to do with the combat, or was keeping it as simple as it is already enough?

戦闘システムについて、他に何か追加したいことはありましたか?それとも、現状のシンプルなままでも十分だったのでしょうか?

Mr. Manabe

With Rune Factory, we were careful not to make the action gameplay too difficult.

I created Rune Prana thinking that, since it’s a dungeon you face after beating the game, it would be okay if it were a little more challenging.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ルーンファクトリーではアクション難易度を高くし過ぎない事に気を使っていました。クリア後なら少々難しくても許されるだろうとおもって作ったのがルーンプラーナです。

Question 19

Rune Factory 4 contains carefully written character arcs, but the player can also spend hundreds of in-game days simply living their own routine. How did you think about the tension between the story you wanted to tell and the freedom for players to create their own stories through play?

『ルーンファクトリー4』には、丁寧に描かれたキャラクターの成長ストーリーが含まれていますが、プレイヤーは単に自分の日常を送るだけで、ゲーム内では数百日も過ごすことができます。伝えたいストーリーと、プレイヤーがプレイを通じて独自の物語を紡ぐ自由との間のバランスについて、どのように考えられましたか?

Mr. Manabe

For me, white space is the priority. Since Tsuji gives his all to the story he wants to tell, I think that creates a good balance.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:自分は余白が優先です。伝えたいストーリーは辻が全力を出してくれるので、それでバランスが取れると思っています。

Question 20

Rune Factory 3’s clock system has always felt a little too fast. How many attempts did it take to find the perfect tempo for Rune Factory 4’s clock?

『ルーンファクトリー3』の時計システムは、いつも少し速すぎる気がしていました。『ルーンファクトリー4』の時計のテンポを完璧に調整するのに、何回ほど試行錯誤が必要だったのでしょうか?

Mr. Manabe

When I played Rune Factory 2, there were a lot of situations — like monsters that only appeared at night — where I just had to wait, so I found myself wishing time would pass faster. However, I realized that was too much of a “gamer’s mindset,” so in Rune Factory 4, I adjusted the game to minimize the number of situations where you have to wait until nightfall, effectively restoring the original pace.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ルーンファクトリー2を遊んだ時、夜にだけ出現するモンスターなどで、待つだけのタイミングが多くて時間が速く進んで欲しいと思ったんですね。しかし、ゲーマー感覚過ぎたなとおもったので、なるべく夜まで待つものを減らすという形にして4で速度を戻しました。

Question 21

Were there any other games that had a significant impact in designing the overall “structure” of Rune Factory 4, or were most, if not all, of its content created originally by your team?

『ルーンファクトリー4』の全体的な「構成」を設計する上で、他に大きな影響を与えたゲームはありましたか?それとも、すべてではないにせよ、そのコンテンツの大部分は御チームが独自に制作したものでしたか?

Mr. Manabe

I’ve been influenced by a huge number of games! There are too many to list, but for me personally, Ultima, Kirby, Mystery Dungeon, and Diablo have had a big impact.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:非常にたくさんのゲームの影響を受けています!列挙すると多すぎるのですが、自分の中では、ウルティマ、星のカービィ、不思議のダンジョン、ディアブロ辺りは大きいです。

Question 22

Rune Factory 4 is a game where you are an amnesiac that suddenly becomes a prince/princess that farms, beats up monsters, participates in festivals and whatever else. Safe to say, it is a game that doesn’t take itself seriously. Was that the primary vision of the game, and I guess for the whole of Rune Factory when you were working with it?

『ルーンファクトリー4』は、記憶喪失の主人公が突然王子/王女となり、農業をしたり、モンスターを倒したり、お祭りに参加したりと、さまざまなことを体験するゲームです。言うまでもなく、このゲームは自分自身をあまり真剣に捉えていない作品です。それがこのゲームの主なコンセプトだったのでしょうか?また、あなたが『ルーンファクトリー』シリーズ全体に携わっていた際も、そのような考え方が基本にあったのでしょうか?

Mr. Manabe

Within Neverland Company, the overall concept for the Rune Factory series was created by Mr. Miyata, but he was a fairly hands-off person, and I think that aspect of his personality came through directly in the series. As a result, I believe each staff member had their own unique interpretation of the concept. I think that embracing those interpretations as much as possible was what shaped Rune Factory. I don’t think it would have turned out this way if it hadn’t been for Mr. Miyata.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ネバーランドカンパニー内では、ルーンファクトリーのシリーズ全体のコンセプトは宮田さんによって作られていたものなのですが わりと放任的な方で、その性格がそのままシリーズに出ていたと思っています。ですのでコンセプトについて、スタッフはみんなそれぞれ独自解釈を持っていたように思います。それらをできる限り是とすることがルーンファクトリーを構築していたと思います。宮田さんでなければこのようにはなっていなかったと思います。

Question 23

Were you both saddened upon leaving Neverland/Marvelous? I’m not sure which company you both left, so please pardon me.

ネバーランド/マーベラスをお去りになった際、お二人は悲しみましたか?どちらの会社を辞められたのかよくわからないので、失礼をお許しください。

Mr. Manabe

We were both at Neverland Company. Since so many people had already left, I’d been feeling a bit lonely for quite some time. That said, I’m still in touch with the team members I used to talk to a lot.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:二人ともネバーランドカンパニーです。既にたくさんの方が辞めていたので寂しさはかなり前からありました。ただ、よく話してたチームメンバーとは今も話しています。

Mr. Tsuji

There’s a feeling that can’t be summed up in a single word like “sad.” Neverland Company was a very special place.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:悲しいと一言で表せない想いがあります。ネバーランドカンパニーはとても特別な場所でした

Question 24

What is the secret to writing such good romances?! The romance in Rune Factory 4 was so good!!

こんなに素晴らしい恋愛ストーリーを書く秘訣は何なんでしょう?!『ルーンファクトリー4』の恋愛要素は本当に最高でした!!

Mr. Tsuji

I think it’s important to always be mindful of how to portray the game. Back then, I was still relatively new to the industry, and it was only because I had team members who worked with me to figure out how the game should look that Rune Factory 4 took on the form it did.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:ゲームとしてどう描くかを常に意識することが大事だと思います。当時、まだ業界経験の浅かった私にとって、ゲームとしてどう見えるべきかを一緒に考えてくれたチームメンバーがいたからこそ、Rune Factory 4はあの形になっています

Question 25

What do you think of the current direction that Rune Factory is heading, and what do you think of the Rune Factory franchise these days?

『ルーンファクトリー』の現在の方向性についてどう思いますか?また、最近の『ルーンファクトリー』シリーズ全体についてはどう思いますか?

Mr. Manabe

I hope this will help boost this genre.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:このジャンルを盛り上げてくれたらいいなと思っています

Mr. Tsuji

As someone who used to be a player myself, I’m genuinely happy that the series is continuing.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:元々プレイヤーだった者として、シリーズが続いてくれることが純粋に嬉しいです。

Question 26

What is one piece of advice that you would like to impart to people who want to make their own games or stories, based on your experience working on Rune Factory?

『ルーンファクトリー』の開発経験をもとに、自分だけのゲームや物語を作りたいと考えている人たちに、ぜひ伝えたいアドバイスを一つ挙げるとしたら何でしょうか?

Mr. Manabe

It may sound cliché, but I think it’s a good idea to play lots of games, look for the fun parts, and think about what makes them fun.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:月並みですが ゲームをいっぱい遊んで、面白い部分を探して、何が面白く感じるのかを考えるとよいと思います。

Question 27

Rune Factory 4 is a game about building a life: growing crops, forming relationships, helping a community, and eventually creating a place that feels like home. What does “home” mean to each of you personally, and did your own understanding of it influence the game?

『ルーンファクトリー4』は、作物を育てたり、人間関係を築いたり、地域社会に貢献したりして、やがて「我が家」と呼べる場所を作り上げていく、生活を送ることをテーマにしたゲームです。皆さんにとって「家」とはどのようなものですか?また、その考え方はゲーム制作に影響を与えましたか?

Mr. Manabe

It’s a place where you can go anywhere from here and feel at ease.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ここからどこへでも行けて落ち着ける場所です。

Mr. Tsuji

My feelings toward Neverland Company are very much the same. I believe that those feelings are reflected in all of my future works.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:ネバーランドカンパニーへの思いがとても近いものです。その気持ちがどういうものかは、これからの作品全てに詰まっていると思います。

Question 28

Has the development of the Rune Factory games changed the way you view vegetables?

『ルーンファクトリー』シリーズの開発を通じて、野菜に対する見方は変わりましたか?

Mr. Manabe

Since I’ve started researching vegetables more, I’ve become a little more knowledgeable about them.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:よく調べるようになったので少しだけ詳しくなりました。

Mr. Tsuji

There are fewer vegetables I don’t like now. Maybe I’ve just grown up.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:苦手な野菜が減りました。大人になっただけかもしれませんが。

Question 29

Could you reveal any cut content, storylines or characters that did not make it into the final version of the game?

ゲームの最終版には収録されなかったカットされたコンテンツ、ストーリー、キャラクターについて、何か教えていただけますか?

Mr. Manabe

I really wanted to include local multiplayer in Rune Factory 4, just like in Rune Factory 3.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ルーンファクトリー4にも、3にあったようなローカル通信プレイは入れたかったです。

Mr. Tsuji

I don’t really have any memories worth sharing.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:特に語れる記憶はないです。

Question 30

Rune Factory 4 became a game that many people consider irreplaceable. Does that feel like a compliment, or can it also feel like a burden when creating something new?

『ルーンファクトリー4』は、多くの人にとってかけがえのない作品となりました。それは褒め言葉として受け止められますか、それとも新しい作品を作る上で重荷に感じることもありますか?

Mr. Manabe

I’m just really happy.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:純粋に嬉しいです。

Mr. Tsuji

I feel the same way — I’m just genuinely happy.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:同じく、純粋に嬉しいです。

Question 31

Is there anything you regret about Rune Factory 4?

『ルーンファクトリー4』について、後悔していることはありますか?

Mr. Manabe

I wanted to fix mistakes in the item settings and other issues.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:アイテムの設定ミスなどは直したかったです。

Mr. Tsuji

Same goes for this. It’s fine if it’s something you can enjoy as a glitch… but I’d like to fix any other bugs.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:これも同じく。裏技として楽しめるものならいいのですが……それ以外のバグは直したいです。

Question 32

When you think about the characters you wrote for Rune Factory 4, who are all so dearly beloved by its community, do you ever get sentimental?

『ルーンファクトリー4』のために書き下ろしたキャラクターたちは、ファンからこぞって愛されていますが、それらを思い返すとき、感傷的になることはありますか?

Mr. Tsuji

You can’t create a video game character all by yourself. It’s a rare experience to have such a character be loved for so long, and I’m truly grateful for it.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:ゲームのキャラクターは一人では作れません。そうしたキャラクターが長く愛される経験は、なかなか得がたいことで、本当に有り難いことだと思っています。

Question 33

As someone who has worked both as a programmer and as a director, do you ever find that the limitations of the technology influence your creative ideas in a positive way?

プログラマーとしてもディレクターとしても活動されてきた立場から、技術的な制約がクリエイティブなアイデアに良い影響を与えることはありますか?

Mr. Manabe

It’s not necessarily because of technical constraints, but I think specifications that involve stylized designs are easier to get approved if there are technical constraints.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:技術的な制約のおかげという事でもないのですが、デフォルメされるような仕様は技術的な制約があると企画を通しやすいと思います。

Question 34

When writing romance in Rune Factory 4, how did you avoid making the characters feel like they were simply waiting for the protagonist to choose them?

『ルーンファクトリー4』の恋愛要素を執筆する際、キャラクターたちが単に主人公に選ばれるのを待っているだけのように感じさせないよう、どのように工夫しましたか?

Mr. Tsuji

It’s important not to forget that the character is living a real life. I think this is something that can only be portrayed in a game that depicts everyday life, and it’s only by portraying that that the character truly comes to life within the game.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:そのキャラクターが生活していることを忘れないことです。これは生活を描くゲームだからこそ描けるもので、それを描いてこそゲームの中で生きているキャラクターになると思います。

Question 35

Were there any plans originally for romance with Ventuswill in Rune Factory 4? The bond she shares with the protagonist was at the forefront of the main scenario, and some dialogue teases at the idea.

『ルーンファクトリー4』では、もともとヴェントゥスウィルとの恋愛展開が計画されていたのでしょうか?彼女と主人公の絆はメインシナリオの中心に据えられており、いくつかの台詞からもその可能性がほのめかされています。

Mr. Manabe

Unfortunately, I never intended to make her a romantic interest from the start.

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:残念ながら初めから恋愛候補にする予定はありませんでした。

Question 36

Are there any extra Rune Factory-related fun facts you would like to add to this interview?

このインタビューに、『ルーンファクトリー』に関する面白い豆知識を何か追加したいことはありますか?

Mr. Manabe

The dialogue for the Sechs soldier — I was writing it in the style of the manga Naniwa Tomare (the debut work by the author of The Fable) — but it was corrected by Tsuji…

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:ゼークス兵のセリフを―――― ナニワトモアレという漫画のセリフ風(ザ・ファブルの作者のデビュー作)に書いてたら―――― 辻に修正されました――――――

Mr. Tsuji

If I recall correctly, one of our team members — a programmer — was growing the turnip seeds that came as a pre-order bonus for Rune Factory Frontier right here at the office, and we all enjoyed watching them grow.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:たしか、ルーンファクトリーフロンティアの予約特典だったカブの種を、チームメンバーのプログラマーさんが社内で育てていて、みんなでそれを楽しんでいました。

Question 37

And finally, is there anything you’d like to say to the Rune Factory community and the community of gamers?

最後に、『ルーンファクトリー』のコミュニティやゲーマーの皆さんへ、何か伝えたいことはありますか?

Mr. Manabe

Thank you so much for all your support! Development is taking some time, but please look forward to life in Farnia Village!

原文 · Original Japanese

真部:たくさん盛り上げて頂いてありがとうございます!開発に時間がかかりますが、ファーニア村で暮らすもご期待ください!

Mr. Tsuji

As a player myself, I’m looking forward to seeing the series continue. We want to create a wonderful game set in Farnia Village that everyone will love, so please continue to support us.

原文 · Original Japanese

辻:私も一プレイヤーとして、これからもシリーズが続くことを楽しみにしています。ファーニア村で暮らすも、皆様に愛される素敵な作品にしたいので、応援よろしくお願いします。

✦ ✦ ✦

And there we have it. Oftentimes, we forget that the games we love are made by ordinary people behind the scenes. But I think what makes these games so spectacular, like Rune Factory 4, is the genuine thought, love and soul poured into them. Speaking to the people who helped create one of my favorite games was an incredible experience. Rune Factory 4 has meant a lot to me over the years, and getting the opportunity to hear from the people behind it made me appreciate the game even more.

So, to Mr. Manabe, Mr. Tsuji and everyone who worked on Rune Factory 4: thank you for creating such an unforgettable masterpiece.

And to the Rune Factory community: may we continue to grow, farm, fight, fall in love and make more memories together in the world of Norad.

Happy fourteenth anniversary, Rune factory 4.

And see you in Farnia Village!


Genkidama

Comments